Will the prevalence reach 5% of boys in the next 20 years? Governments need to prepare now for this inevitability, while researchers continue to work to determine what must be the missing environmental trigger for this disorder.
In Ontario, this means:
- More trained ABA therapists graduating from Ontario colleges, and appropriate placements for them to gain valuable experience.
- Mandatory training for Educational Assistants (EAs) working with children on the spectrum.
- Increased funding for the Autism Intervention Program - there are over 1,600 kids waiting, and this will get worse, not better, as prevalence continues to grow.
- Better access to early diagnosticians for autism.
- A plan and individualized funding for community care and involvement for adults transitioning from school.